Sara's Ramblings

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Keane'd!

I finally saw them last night and it was fantastic. Monday night I fell asleep at 8 30 and woke up tired. Lame. Work was ok; no gooseneck poles, no Calgary pallets, lots of Keane in preparation. Good thing Megs is also a Keaner.

I got home at 5 35 and was showered and ready to go again by 6 05. I think that deserves some sort of prize, especially since I opted out of a sweatshirt for this one. Good thing I did, too, because Brea and I had met up with Sally and John for less than ten minutes when our ride showed up. It was frivolous (but SO nice) to ride to the QE in a stretch limo, blasting a cd that I have since dubbed "The Limo Sessions" (I've decided that everything this summer will be called the "[something] sessions"). John and Sally decided that they had nothing better to do with their money than make our trip to Keane extra special. Sweeties.

We found our seats, about 2 inches from the back of the theatre (not literally, but we did take our sweet time in getting tickets so they weren't the greatest). The good news is that the balcony at the QE is steep enough that you can see anyway. Unless the people in front of you like standing. Which they did.

The opening guy (forgive me, I don't recall his name) was pretty good. I didn't like the sound of his guitars at all, but the drums sounded excellent, especially the toms... oooh and the bass too. I blame the tech crew at Peace Portal Alliance for that last comment *shakes fist*.

Keane was fantastic. Dude hit every high note and his falsetto is even more stunning live than on disc. He's hot because he's talented (not because he looks like a troll, as John said). The keyboards sounded really good (not all gross and bath-tubby like that of the opening guy). It was cool - fun and engaging. I liked their stage presence - not arrogant, but not shy and meek. Oh and they played all the songs that I had on my list. I was getting a bit worried that I wouldn't get Bedshaped but it was the last song of their encore. Overall, it was too short for my liking, but exceptional for what it was.

We went to Moxie's after for cheap Margaritas and then Caz (driver) was waiting for us in our white steed. The ride back was so fun. Thank goodness for soundproofing the back, cuz Keane was a-blasting. We got to John's, did some trampolining, some guitaring (on that lovely vintage Fender Stratocaster that is surely worth more than me), some Napoleon Dynamiting, and then there was some dry tapping (that was for you, Brea). Brea and I crashed on the pullout, deciding around 2 that we were tired, and now I'm home.

I just got an email from Meghan Wickett (friend from elementary school who moved to the Okanagan about 6 years ago). She thought of me the other day when she saw a Tomko truck drive by her Kelowna neighborhood. It just goes to show that you can't escape Tomko, so you might as well not try. So I'm going to write back and then go to Staples.

I'm not working today because I have a bunch of appointments. I'm just wondering what to do with myself this afternoon. I'm thinking the beach might be in order.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home