Sara's Ramblings

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Is the state in decline?

That was one of my final exam questions in IR this afternoon. I wrote 6 essays in 3 hours and my hand felt like it was going to snap itself off.

In the middle of the crazyfest I got to daydreaming. Yeah, I know, great time to start daydreaming, but I was writing about conflict management and my thoughts always turn to Sudan and Rwanda and places were people are killed for no reason and the action (or LACK THEREOF) that the rest of the world seems to take... because this is just where my heart is most of the time.

Anyway. I got to thinking, and I would really like to take some time off school. I mean, I may change my mind once exams are done and I realize that I surived year two of UBC, but... well... I feel like I've always said, "I'll go to Africa when I'm done school, when I'm done this, when I'm done that." Maybe if I keep waiting until the opportune moment, I'll miss my chance completely.

It's certainly something to think about. I know someone who could hook me up with a program that would let me go and volunteer for a half year over in Africa. Maybe it's time to put my money where my mouth is. I did the Sudan benefit yeah, but this would be living it, and there's a difference. Of course, I'm not allowed into Sudan right now, but Africa can basically use all the help it can get.

Ever since the drunkfest at ACF I've been checking out Matthew Good's blog and there are some pretty interesting links up there. I should have asked him to play at the Darfur thing (har har). At least then he would have known what it was like to play at UBC at least once in 2005 without getting pelted by something. Idiots. Ruiners!

Speaking of Africa, don't forget about our boys. They went to the REAL Hotel Rwanda (which is coming out soon... or already has come out...). I suggest you read up on the adventures if you are interested at all; they've lined up some pretty good interviews.

Bedtime... must cram cram cram for Bio on Friday. HA. Funny story. I woke up at 6 15 this morning and did NOT want to get out of bed... I was fully awake and dreading the day. So I prayed from 6 15 until 7 45. Can't say I've ever done THAT before.


2 Comments:

  • Yes, you should contact 'someone' about going to Africa. I can totally hook you up! Maybe I can conduct your interview to see if you are suitable for it :P

    There's no time like the present to take on challenges, because honestly, the more you put it off, the less likely you are of doing it. Who knows what will happen between now and when you're done school, so it's impossible to plan what happens then. Time to act is now.

    Speaking of putting things off, perhaps I should get back to doing some *WORK*

    love Z

    By Blogger ZAHiDA MACHAN, at 11:55 a.m.  

  • I have to rant to you about Darfur maybe on Saturday after the big bio? Hotel Rwanda just came out this week, I had it pre-ordered :) hehe.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:42 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home