Sara's Ramblings

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Welcome, Kye Michael Rodier

Shelice had her baby at 11:30 on Monday night. Woohoo! He is just beautiful. I went out to the hospital in Abbotsford to meet him last night, and it was rad. Kye is absolutely precious. From his fuzzy head to his tiny little toes - adorable! And Mommy looks amazing, albeit a bit tired.

I have a midterm today, but some things are just way more important than studying. Like seeing Kye and coming to the realization that he has a big head. You know what that means... it means that he will be able to join me, Opa, Dyllon, and Kyra in our quest for world domination. Excellent!!! [Note: Yes, I am going to take over the world, so start being nice to me now and you might just get your own country.] And I realize that International Relations will help me in my conquests, so I DID study. I just took an extended break to work on some recruitment.

Stef has decided to boycott, or picket (or whatever she wants to call it) my blog because she insists that I'm not blogging anything of substance. Pffft. How much substance does she expect? Interestingly enough, though, I must agree that my output in the last month has been less substantial than I would like. Not just the blog, but in general. I feel like I'm retreating into myself or something and it's getting harder for me to speak intelligent words. It's making me feel stupid. Hee hee. Hee hee. Take CG on Monday, for example:

D: What do you think, Sara?
S: Uhmm.... uh DUhhhhhhh.

I'm thinking more, but concluding less. Must focus!

And in the meantime, it's not my fault that the words of others are doing it for me. So please don't hold it against me, Stefanie, or at least get your own blog so that I can picket as well :).

How about some book reviews? Does that count, Stef? Better than lyrics at least?

I got a couple good reads in during the last few days. I finished Green Grass, Running Water, and it continued to amuse and perplex. I would recommend it; it can be read for amusement alone, or for reflection. Either works, because the basic plot is engaging enough. I don't know enough about Native mythology, so I can't really comment much on it right now, other than to say that at its most basic level, the novel is really well-written. The characters are developed in such a way that you can get to know them - the narration shifts so that it's almost always third person, but not omniscient. So you see the characters through the eyes of different peers, almost as though it's first person. It really keeps things interesting. It's not a matter of asking, "well who's telling the truth," but more of a reflection on the idea that we see others in different ways, and we may perhaps even present ourselves differently to certain people. Hmm.

I also read The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis - super short, intellectually invigorating, packs a punch. And don't you like the triple alliteration? Shut up Sara. Anyway yeah you should read it - I'm going to read it a few more times I think, but so far, one of them kind of touches on education and the subjective inculcation of certain virtues by linking them to emotions. Then he makes fun of some people and I find it very amusing and clever.

The second one reminds me of something that one might say to Mr. Friedrich "I'm Crazy" Nietzsche. Then again I should probably re-read him too, before I comment on that. John has my Nietzsche. I have his T-4 tax form.... I'm thinking maybe we can make a trade.

Man, talk about digression (is that a word?).

The second one reminded me of Nietzsche because N seems to use the tactics that he criticizes in order to convince people that there is no truth and that everything is relative. "OK kids," said Freddy N., "let's take THIS to be true so that I can show you that there is no truth! Woot!" And I think (THINK) that maybe Lewis touches on this in some way.

The third essay, "The Abolition of Man" is the one that I think I understand the least so far, but am the most interested in pursuing. For now, I just really like this passage (basically the last words of the text):

"[T]he kind of explanation which explains things away may give us something, though at a heavy cost. But you cannot go on 'explaining away' for ever: you will find that you have explained explanation itself away. You cannot go on 'seeing through' things for ever. The whole point of seeing through something is to see something through it. It is good that the window should be transparent, because the street or garden beyond it is opaque. How if you saw through the garden too? It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see."
- C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

And, for the purposes of annoying Stef:

Where is the satisfaction
In all the things that draw my attraction?
Where is the delight
In all the things I can't deny?

What happened to the fun
Since I stopped thinking about anyone
But me?

Haven't seen an emptier day
Than this one I'm walking my way
Didn't know that I could eat
And still not have the strength
To stand on my feet

What happened to the fun
Since I stopped thinking about anyone
But me?

I don't want my life to taste this way
Knowing it gets so sweet when I pray
So I'll shut my eyes and forget about me
And I'm humbled that You are all I need

You are all I need


- L. Hubick

Thar ye be. I'm a pirate. Yarrrr.

4 Comments:

  • This would be a very opportune time to "blog."

    Yes, these allegations are true. I felt, as a friend, it is my reponsibility that I inform Sara her blogging has somewhat went downhill. I mean, HARDLY EVER mentioning ME. HAHA.

    I've been thinking for the past coupla months, "What the crap am I doing in Saskatoon?" I came here to give "medicine" a shot, but then I hear a song on the radio and my heart starts doing backflips, because I happen to like the opening 2 chords. And I think to myself, whoa, I wonder if other people have felt so strongly against something (and no other people don't count). It would be sad if the majority of people haven't. I use music as a way to express myself. Don't get me wrong, I do express myself in words, for example "Shut the fuck up." But it's easier with music and less abrasive. I was looking at soundboards on eBay and I thought, "wouldn't it be cool to start a studio?" So the more I thought about it, the more I fell in love with the idea. This is still in the early stages, and when/if I actually do want to go through with this I would have to tell my parents at one point... I already told my Dad. I wrote him an email that went like this

    Dear Dad,
    I have decided that I'm going to devote my life to music.

    Love Stef.

    He wrote an email back saying he's happy that I found something that stirs my soul. He also called my brother and asked what was wrong with me.

    I'll leave you with that thought. If you have any input into this premature "studio" idea I would LOVE to hear them. Cause I've never done anything like this.

    Stef

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 p.m.  

  • Degression is a word. I use it all the time because I degress a lot :P ANYWAY, that's WONDERFUL that Shelice had Kye and all is well with the both of them :D Yay!!! I hope your midterm went well, I have one on Friday :| Stupid misterms. Thanks for the book reviews ;) I miss you!!! I will probably phone you tomorrow at some point if I'm not stressing out more than usual haha.

    Kiri

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:23 p.m.  

  • There I go, spelling dIgression wrong not once - but twice! :o What's wrong with me?! I think studying has fried my brains to a European Brown.

    Yikes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 p.m.  

  • So... Sarah is sitting about three feet away from me typing like a madwoman, letting out little giggles now and then and smiling wildly... crazy woman. Hooray for wireless.

    By Blogger none, at 12:04 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home