Sara's Ramblings

Monday, January 24, 2005

"Lamech is just a killing machine... kind of like road rage." - AG

I wonder if it's possible to make yourself smarter... I know you can learn more and gain knowledge, but can you train and "exercise" your brain so that the level at which you synthesize information, and the speed at which you obtain it is greater? It's said that we only make use of a small percentage of our brains. Wouldn't it be cool if we could somehow engage more of it? I think I'd like that a lot.

So I wonder how one would go about doing that. Extended TV-watching is probably NOT helpful; I know that much... it probably causes the brain to eat itself or atrophe. Is the brain like that? Is the brain a muscle? Kiri? I'm going to have to visit Wikipedia.

I like to ask questions. John sick of me and gave me his "How Things Work" book, which is a quite an asset when you can't sleep because you don't understand how a combustion engine works. Not that I really have a tight grasp on that. Poor example. At least I'm more informed than I once was.

Unfortunately for me, I don't think there's an entry on how exercising your brain works. Could be, I guess. I'm still at Ashlee's so I can't consult the book :p.

What brought this on, you ask? Or maybe you don't ask. I'll tell you either way. Well firstly, I want to be smarter, or at least learn how to harness some of the potential that I may (or may not) possess. Secondly, I just plain really like to think. And finally, I picked up a book today called "Synaptic Self", which has renewed my interest on the subject.

I also got "Fundamentals of Musical Acoustics". There is a third year physics class at UBC called The Physics of Musical Sound, and I WILL take it. But let me clarify... I certainly won't pay to fail a class. If it's a big class I'll just sneak in and sit there listening. And if it's a small class then I will investigate how one would go about auditing it. In fact I'm going to look now.

OK so I can audit it as long as I can convince the instructor that I have a desire to learn but don't feel that I'm qualified to take the class and pass it. Done and DONE. I'll have to work on that for next year.

Hmmm. So SYNAPSES and SOUND PRESSURE. Sounds like a full plate for a girl who cannot for the life of her make a distinction between this Friday and last Friday... that's a funny story with a sad, sad ending. BUT! Maybe I can print out the emails and pass them along to the Physics 341 prof in order to convince him that I would be unable to pass his course... sigh. I stand by the fact that I earned a spot at UBC and that my dad didn't just promise to build them their own international airport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home