Sara's Ramblings

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Uh Oh!!

Dammit I'm falling back into my old tricksy ways! It's.... 10 34 and I have a paper due tomorrow. Just a baby paper but of course I haven't started it. It's like I can sit here and sit and sit and sit and nothing will get written until the adrenaline starts pumping and I start to freak out. I'm so tired from this week though. Kind of agitated too. I'm going to Keats this weekend for a retreat and I am really, really excited about spending a few days on an island (literally and figuratively). I'm so tense. My goal for right now is to choose a topic - I've taken notes on both but I don't know which one I'd like to write on. Thank goodness it only has to be two pages double spaced (ie one real page).

Here are the topics (and by the way, remember when I thought I liked Aristotle? FALSE):

1. Aristotle appears to give two competing accounts of the happy (eudaimon) person: one elaborated in I.7-11, and one elaborated in X.6-8. Briefly and precisely compare and contrast the two accounts, focusing on the important differences and similarities of the two accounts. For each of them, explain the reasoning Aristotle gives for thinking that it is a true depiction of the eudaimon person (to the extent the reasoning is similar for both accounts, say so). If you have space, you may discuss whether you think one or the other of the two accounts is superior, given the more general picture of ethics and the human good that Aristotle presents.

2. Compare and contrast Epicurus and Aristotle with respect to the role that pleasure plays in the good (or “blessed”) human life. State briefly and precisely their points of agreement and disagreement. If you have space, you may discuss what you think are the strongest reasons for favouring one account over the other. For Aristotle’s view you will do well to focus on the account of pleasure found in X.4-5, but you may also want to draw upon II.3 as well as his more general account of virtue. For Epircurus’ view, you will do well to focus on the middle part of the letter to Menoeceus, and chapters 9-13 and 18 of “About the Ends of Good and Evil.”

Hmm.... compare and contrast sounds dangerous...

Speaking of dangerous, I mentioned I've been a bit tense this past week - well Kelly pushed it a bit too far tonight with her attitude. She ended up wadding a napkin up and chucking it at me while I was washing the dishes. I looked at what I held in my hands (a fork and a plate) and figured that probably wasn't the best idea, so I threw a hamburger at her instead. It was awesome. I know it's bad.... but it was harmless. And really, who throws a hamburger? It was for the dog anyway. I guess my mom has decided to train my dog not to eat human food by constantly feeding her human food. Oh... the dog. I make fun of my mom endlessly for trying to make the dog speak English, but I think she's almost done it. I can't believe it. She can't say "mama" but she says "mamama". It creeps me out. I should throw a hamburger at her, as it's the only way to solve a conflict.

Alright... almost 10 to 11 now and I'm shutting things down at 11 45 regardless, so I'd best get writing!

(yeah right)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home