Sara's Ramblings

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Little Hints of Himself?

I find that the world is just filled with reminders of God, and that makes sense, seeing as He created it. As the Creator, it follow that He would have His hand in all aspects of life.... just look at His artistry in the beauty of a sunset, or even in the different shades of green used to paint the leaves! C'mon. They're LEAVES. And yet so beautiful... just look at God's language. So often it is not spoken, but can be sensed and experienced in other ways. Like these feelings that we get sometimes that can't really be attributed to anything else and cannot be expressed through words... maybe "I love you" is the closest we can get sometimes, and still I think those words fall short of the true meaning that one wishes to convey most of the time... and, coming back to the reason why I'm writing, just look at how God expresses Himself through science (And imagery! Yep! Gotta work the English in there somewhere!).

This might be way off, because I really am not particularly apt when it comes to biology, but I've been studying today, the nervous system actually, looking at the CNS and the PNS (central and peripheral nervous systems). Here's what my book says, and then let's see if I can outline how it struck me:

"The CNS is responsible for integrating, processing, and coordinating sensory data and other motor commands... When you stumble, the CNS integrates information regarding your balance and the position of your limbs and then coordinates your recovery by sending motor commands to appropriate skeletal muscles... the PNS includes all the neural tissues outside the CNS... and carries motor commands to peripheral tissues and systems...." (and that was stolen from that Martini book, "Fundamentals of Anatomy & Physiology" sixth edition).

OK. Now like I said, my understanding of such things is crude, but the part about balance and stumbling kind of hit me. Maybe I was looking for an excuse to stop reading (though I did keep reading for an hour before I stopped!), I'm not sure. My first reaction, however, was, "what a stunning extended metaphor". And this in itself, people, is a reminder that I am an ENGLISH student, not a BIOLOGY student. Haha.

I'm thinking that God is the CNS - the brains, the thing that is in control. So when we stumble, God knows... and He sends out impulses etc. to coordinate our recovery. I know that there are parts of the PNS that are in control as well, but remember this is CRUDE... so either we are the PNS for ourselves, or God uses others as PNS in our lives... or maybe both. I don't think Jesus fits into the PNS... He is more likely one of the lobes of the brain. That actually works quite nicely... The Trinity is the brain, and the part that connects to the spinal cord (which connects to the PNS) can be the Holy Spirit, that is linked with the PNS ie us somehow? We haven't learned about the different chunks of the brain yet, so I will have to revise this later ;). Maybe if the Spirit is the spinal cord, that would explain how the PNS has some control as well... because it's all connected to the CNS through the spinal cord... or maybe... alright I am getting myself all confused.

I'm just thinking right now, that the response of the nervous system is instant... and sometimes we go through trials that don't go away immediately.... bring on the metaphorical endocrine system, which works in compliment with the nervous system and sends out hormones (chemicals) that aren't as quick but have a longer lasting effect. So true of life as well, I think.

Maybe the PNS (or these "motor commands") isn't exclusively just people... maybe the axons are people, sent to deliver messages and to encourage and bless and love one another and shine God's light into the world... and maybe the dendrites are things that God gives us as gifts to remind us of who He is... or blessings of strength and endurance and discernment... or they're just to make us happy because He loves us... things like soul-stirring harmonies, or things that are so pretty to look at that they overwhelm us... or even a smile on the bus, or a restful sleep.

Here's what it comes down to: I really don't know where I'm going with all of this!!!!!!! Haha! And people like Kiri are going to read this and be like, "Wow... you're going to fail your bio exam! Stick with English!" It's silly, but it made me stop.

My conclusion: Lord, You're Everywhere. Even in my biology textbook.

1 Comments:

  • And people like Kiri are going to read this and be like, "Wow... you're going to fail your bio exam! Stick with English!"

    Nah, only if you don't drink your warm homo!Because 2L allllwwaaaayyysss win ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home