Sara's Ramblings

Friday, April 27, 2007

Just because I needed the break...

I open the door, stretching tall as I emerge, leaving a half-finished paper and silence in the room. I work through the cricks in my neck. I am greeted by Dumb Cat, and by the sound of Boy #1’s music. Across the living room and through a second door, if you listen carefully, you can pick up the faint sound of Boy #2 talking to himself, muttering away and repeating formulas, over and over. I’ve noticed that it gets louder as he gets closer to memorization. Tells you how much time we’ve all spent trapped inside this apartment together. Boy #1 notices me as I wander over to the coffee machine and he immediately turns down his music. What a gentleman.

Devious Cat threads herself in a figure eight through my legs, through my legs. She quickly loses interest and starts chasing Dumb Cat up and through the obstacle course of the living room. The music coming from Boy #1 is joined by the sound of talons clinging to leather. Dumb Cat skids across the tiles in the kitchen and lands at my feet as I prepare to convince myself that caffeine is the perfect alternative to sleep. Boy # 1 makes some sort of whimper in my general direction, his eyes never leaving the computer screen. I take the hint and prepare espresso for two.

I glide as best I can through the minefield where Boy #1 is trapped among a stack of books, plates, cans, and various bits. I hand off the steaming beverage. This grunt is one of gratitude, and we share a moment of eye contact during which each of us understands the other’s misery.

“Adenosine triphosphate. Adenosine triphosphate. Adenosine triphosphate.” Boy #2 says aloud from the other side of the wall.

Back in my silent world of King Arthur and post-positivist international relations theory—don’t ask—I rub my eyes and notice a new blister on my index finger; it’s from my computer’s trackpad, if you can believe it. My musing is interrupted by a door closing, and The Girl pops her head wearily into the room, followed closely by Devious Cat and Dumb cat, the former of whom proceeds to claw at The Girl’s leg affectionately. Devious Cat is rewarded by a gentle, half-serious kick, as both myself and The Girl once again enter the living room.

The Girl picks up a biology textbook. Boy #2 emerges and we all gather and flop down around Boy #1. Four on a couch, and my eyes are closed. I think the TV is on, and Dumb Cat assumes his position. I rub his tiny belly and his purrs are overpowering the TV.

This is how we study.

1 Comments:

  • That was beautiful. Reading it, I was right back in school, living in res, almost missing it... but then I remembered how I felt when I was in it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home